Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Identifier: MC 101
Abstract Arthur Henderson Smith, Beloit College class of 1867, was a Civil War veteran and prominent missionary to China, along with his wife Emma, best friend and classmate Henry Porter, and Porter's wife, Elizabeth Chapin Porter, and sister, Mary Porter. Smith wrote many volumes on China for Western audiences, including Chinese Characteristics, Village Life in China, and The Uplift of China. He was in Shandong during the Boxer Rebellion and was instrumental in the United States returning China's...
Dates: 1852-1932, 1964, 1989-1992
Identifier: AC 33
Abstract This collection gathers primary and secondary source materials regarding Beloit College's involvement in the Civil War. Of particular note are the lists of Beloit College students and faculty who fought in the war, historical sketches of the era, correspondence between college community members during and about the war, and photographs of soldiers.
Dates: Majority of material found within 1854-1965, 2005
Identifier: MC 115
Abstract Henry Mitchell Whitney, "Whit" for short, was professor of Rhetoric and English Literature from 1871 to 1899 at Beloit College. This collection is comprised of biographical information, photographs, and news articles and other publications by or about Whitney. Also featured are four scrapbooks containing news clippings, photographs, and other ephemera about his family and the Civil War.
Dates: 1862-1911, 1972-1988
- American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions 1
- Chapin, Aaron L. (Aaron Lucius), 1817-1892 1
- China--History--Boxer Rebellion, 1899-1901 1
- Irrmann, Robert H. 1
- Lathrop, Stanley Edwards, 1843-1927 1
- Maurer, Irving, 1879-1942 1
- Missions China 1
- Porter, Henry Dwight, 1845-1916 1
- Richardson, Robert Kimball, 1876-1952 1
- Smith, Arthur Henderson, 1845-1932 1
- United States --Foreign relations --China 1
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Regimental histories--Wisconsin. 1
- Whitney, Henry Mitchell, 1843-1911 1 ∧ less