Brown Family papers
Scope and Contents
The Brown Family Papers encompass a variety of materials. The collection consists of one box of materials with a few oversized items and includes photographs (both individual prints and two scrapbooks), newspaper clippings, correspondence, diaries, memorabilia, writings, and documents. The documents, writings, clippings, memorabilia, and diaries are arranged collectively by family member, the correspondence is arranged chronologically, and the photographs are arranged chronologically. Each folder contains a detailed inventory of its contents.
The collection covers a wide range of genealogy, including major holdings for the Brown, Bennett, Gregory, and Waterman families. Many of the family members are Beloit College alumni. Highlights of the collection include: two diaries – Hila Mandana Brown (maiden name: Bennett), 6/24/1868–1/6/1870, and Arabella Frances Lee (maiden name: Waterman), 1/1/1863–12/11/1864; a large photo scrapbook with extensively detailed captions and annotations; Louis L. Gregory's Beloit College scrapbook; two letters (one handwritten and one typed) from Almon Bennett to his family while in California during the Gold Rush in 1851; William Fiske Brown's collection of research, articles, and personal writings related to Abraham Lincoln; a large collection of very detailed letters and family correspondence.
The collection and its holdings will be most useful for those interested in Beloit, Wisconsin history, the establishment of families and communities in Wisconsin, and family life during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
- 1833-1993, bulk 1880-1917
Conditions Governing Access
Biographical / Historical
Because the bulk of this collection was donated by Holly Bachmeyer, the family members represented here are her ancestors on her mother's side of the family. Holly's mother was Barbara Bachmeyer (formerly Barbara Brown), daughter of Benjamin Warren Brown and Marjorie Brown (formerly Marjorie Gregory). For an associated family tree with details of lineage, contact the Beloit College Archives.
- William Fiske Brown, D.D. Class of 1866, born in Beloit in 1845, died October 12, 1923 at 57. Brown enlisted in the Union Army along with his fellow classmates. After graduating he studied at the Union Theological Seminary and received a Bachelor's of Theology in 1870. Brown is the author of the college song, "Alma Mater Alumnus."
- William W. Brown. Class of 1893 (but did not graduate).
- Anna H. Hecox (Brown). Class of 1899 (but did not graduate).
- Edwards B. Brown. Class of 1901.
- Robert L. Brown. Class of 1902.
- Benjamin Warren Brown. Class of 1907.
- Barbara F. Bachmeyer (Brown). Class of 1938.
- William L. Bachmeyer. Class of 1939.
- Anson Phelps (A. P.) Waterman. January 15-1819-January 8, 1902. Trustee of Beloit College from 1856-1902, treasurer twice.
- Carroll Spafford Gregory. December 15, 1857-1918. Class of 1881.
- Louis L. Gregory. Born 1860. Class of 1884.
- Marjorie Brown (Gregory). Class of 1909.
3 Linear Feet (3 boxes)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script