Buildings and Properties Collection
Scope and Contents
This artificial collection is arranged into series based on building name. Where name changes took place but the building itself was not changed (e.g. Carnegie Library becoming the World Affairs Center), or where named additions or changes were made to existing buildings (e.g. Field House and Sports Center) those names are collocated into one series. Replacement buildings (e.g. Chamberlin Hall of Science and Center for the Sciences) are listed separately.
Series 19 (Miscellaneous Buildings) contains materials related to buildings with too few records to merit their own series, along with materials relating to non-building structures or areas on campus such as the Senior Bench and Hales Plaza. Many of these folders contain only reference notes from Robert K. Richardson and Helen D. Richardson from their research for his unpublished Beloit College history book.
Series 20 (General Information) is comprised of records about campus buildings in general, such as reports and correspondence regarding facilities installation and maintenance.
Included in most series are dedication and cornerstone event materials, construction correspondence and planning documents (proposals, specifications, budget and financial reports, blueprints, etc.), remodeling and renovations planning documents where applicable, news articles, College promotional material, and information about the architects. For the most part, these materials are presented in alphabetical order.
Certain series have materials unique to them, such as Eaton Chapel's collection of Order of Daily Chapel Service cards, Middle College's historical landmark documents, and materials relating to a fundraising solicitation ad featuring D.K. Pearsons. Eaton Chapel and Scoville Hall both sustained damage from fires, and the collection holds many news articles written about the incidents and their aftermaths.
- Other: Date Not Yet Determined
Biographical / Historical
Beloit College was founded in 1846, when the village of Beloit, Wisconsin offered the college founders $7,000 in supplies, materials, labor, and a small amount of cash, which became the backbone of the institution's physical form. The cornerstone and foundation for Middle College, the oldest college building northwest of Chicago in continuous academic operation, was laid in 1847.
Since then, the Beloit College campus has undergone many additions and transformations. Throughout the remainder of the 19th century and into the beginning of the 20th, college administrators initiated construction of a new gymnasium and the Logan Museum of Anthropology. After World War I, President Melvin Brannon's era saw substantial growth in the endowment assets of the College and a refurbishing of the physical plant.
World War II sharply reduced enrollment and presented many other problems. In 1944, Carey Croneis became College president, and his nine-year administration saw an influx of war veterans swell enrollment to more than 1,000, and additional buildings like the Field House and other campus improvements were completed.
The administration of Miller Upton, who served for 21 years, was marked by a long period of intensive self-study. This led to a series of far-reaching curricular changes, including enrollment growth to the highest level in Beloit's history and the extensive development of the physical plant. This building period included a new library, science center, performing arts center, anthropology building, and seven new residential buildings.
During President Roger Hull's administration starting in 1981, Beloit College accelerated plant improvements, including new facilities for music and economics, extensive renovation of residence halls, creation of a new campus center and sports-fitness center and a multi-million-dollar library renovation.
Victor E. Ferrall, Jr. was named Beloit College's ninth president in 1991. Over the course of his tenure, the College's endowment more than doubled and Beloit College undertook one of the largest programs of physical plant reconstruction in its history. Residence halls, academic facilities in Morse-Ingersoll and Smith halls, sports facilities at Strong Stadium, and both college museums underwent major renovation. Karris Field and The Beloit Poetry Garden were also added to the campus.
In the fall of 2003, Beloit College initiated the preparation of a Master Plan for the entire campus, the intent of which was to create a vision that would enrich the campus legacy and embody the academic Strategic Plan in the physical plant over the next 25 years. This plan included the acquisition of the western portion of Emerson Street and portions of College and Clary streets. Construction on the platinum-level LEED certified Center for the Sciences was completed in 2008.
As of 2012, Beloit's wooded forty-acre campus includes twenty-eight buildings in a range of architectural styles; four buildings are listed on the National or State Register of Historic Places. The campus is marked by winding pathways, expansive lawns, displays of public art, and ancient Indian mounds.
27 Linear Feet ((38 boxes; 5 file cabinet drawers; oversized materials); further additions are expected)
Language of Materials
This collection is comprised of materials related to the planning, construction, dedication, and renovations of, as well as articles and correspondence about various buildings at Beloit College. Buildings represented in the collection include but are not limited to: Carnegie Library/World Affairs Center (WAC), Chamberlin Hall of Science/Mayer Hall, Chapin Hall, Eaton Chapel, Emerson Hall, Field House/Sports Center, Memorial Hall/Logan Museum of Anthropology, Middle College, Morse-Ingersoll Recitation Hall, Colonel Robert H. Morse Library and Richard Black Information Center, Newark Road Prairie, North College/Campbell Hall, Pearsons Hall of Science/Jeffris-Wood Campus Center, Scoville Hall, Smith Gymnasium, Smith Observatory, South End Complex, Strong Stadium, Wright Art Hall (Wright Museum of Art), and Newark Road Prairie.
This collection has been compiled over the years through many separate accessions of various sizes from various offices and individuals, none of which has any accompanying documentation. The arrangement order presented here has been imposed by the College Archives staff. Additions are transferred continually to the College Archives by numerous offices, including the Office of Communications and Marketing, the Office of the Vice President for Administration and Treasurer, and Facilities (formerly Physical Plant).
- Buildings and Properties Collection
- Michelle Tom. Last updated in December, 2012 by Amara Pugens.
- February, 2012
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note