Victor E. Ferrall, Jr. papers
Scope and Contents
This collection gathers materials relating to Beloit College by and about Victor Ferrall, primarily during his tenure as president of Beloit College, 1991-2000. These include many news articles, inauguration documents, correspondence (called "reading files"), retirement information, transcriptions and drafts of speeches and addresses, and copies of his publications (magazine and journal articles, books).
Not listed here are about 200 MB of born-digital files, kept by the secretary of the college at the time, Connie Truesdale. These giles consist of mostly daily schedules, some internal and external correspondence, and speeches. For more information about these digital materials, contact us.
Other information from his administration can be found in Beloit College Academic Senate records (AC 4), Beloit College Faculty records (AC 47).
- Other: Date Not Yet Determined
Language of Materials
Biographical / Historical
Victor E. Ferrall, Jr. came to Beloit College in 1991. A graduate of Oberlin, he received his Masters and Law degrees from Yale. Prior to becoming Beloit College's ninth president Ferrall was a senior member of a Washington law firm. President Ferrall took control of the Sesquicentennial fundraising campaign, completed in November 1997, which raised one hundred million dollars. Beloit also increased the size and diversity of its student body under Ferrall. The major renovations of Morse-Ingersoll Hall, the Wright Museum of Art, and the Logan Museum also occurred during this time.
Vic Ferrall is married to Linda Smith, another lawyer from his Washington law firm. He is an avid woodworker. There is a residency named after him, the Victor E. Ferrall, Jr. Endowed Artists-in-Residence Program, which brings distinguished visual or performing artists to campus to teach, direct workshops, and perform or exhibit his or her works.
6 Linear Feet (8 boxes; further additions are expected)
205 Megabytes (533 files, 8 folders)
Two boxes of subject files are unprocessed, but are still available for research.
- Beloit College--History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College Presidents--United States--Wisconsin Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ferrall, Victor E., 1936- Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges--Administration Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Woodwork Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Victor E. Ferrall, Jr. papers
- Michelle Tom
- June, 2013
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note