Andrew H. Whiteford papers
- Other: Date Not Yet Determined
Biographical / Historical
Excerpted with edits from the Beloit Daily News (March 27, 1971)
Andrew Hunter "Bud" Whiteford was a graduate of Beloit College, class of 1937, a Beloit faculty member from 1943-1974, and director of the Logan Museum of Anthropology. He received MA and PhD degrees from the University of Chicago.
A specialist in social anthropology, his particular interest was in the social systems of contemporary Latin American cultures. He conducted extensive field work in Mexico, Central and South America, Spain, and the United States.
Before joining the Beloit faculty in 1943, he served as an archaeologist with the University of Tennessee. He also did research in labor-management and served as a consultant in industrial and consumer studies for Social Research, Inc., of Chicago.
Dr. Whiteford's articles on social anthropology have been published in leading journals and he is listed both in "Who's Who in America" and in "American Men of Science."
The report of his Latin American research, "Two Cities of Latin America," was selected by the National University of Columbia as the first volume of its sociological series. He was president of the Central States Anthropological Association and president of the Wisconsin Anthropological Association.
For more biographical information, see Whiteford's page on the Beloit College Archives website.
9 Linear Feet (16 boxes, 2 booklets, plus approximately 3 linear feet of unprocessed materials)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Beloit College--History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Indian arts--North America Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Indians of North America Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Logan Museum of Anthropology Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Whiteford, Andrew Hunter Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Andrew H. Whiteford papers
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script